Earlier in this issue, we explored a face-to-face version of the Personal Meaning activity that involves reflecting on a pithy saying and sharing your insights with others. Here’s an online version of this activity.
Here’s a pithy saying to stimulate your reflection:
Take serious things playfully and playful things seriously.
What does this statement mean to you?
Here are the instructions for the online version of Personal Meaning:
1. Reflect silently. Figure out what the statement personally means to you. Remember, there are no incorrect interpretations. Think of the statement as a koan or a Rorschach inkblot. Let your mind wander around the significance of this statement.
2. Let these questions guide your reflection. Use them as probes to continue thinking:
- How would you explain this statement in your own words?
- What guidance does this statement provide to you?
- What personal experiences do you have that are related to this statement?
- How would you convert this statement into a piece of personal advice?
- How would you transform this statement into a memorable slogan?
- How would you explain this statement to a 7-year old?
- How would you apply this statement to your personal life?
- How would you apply this statement to your workplace?
- What could be the negative consequences of taking this statement too seriously
3. Type your thoughts and insights in the Comments section below. Relate each comment to a single insight. Type more than one comment if you feel like it.
4. Read other people’s comments. See if they confirm you insights or provide a different perspective.
5. Revisit the Comments section frequently. Check out the latest insights from others. Add your own additional insights.